Wednesday, October 19, 2011

a much better version of the Avengers trailer

I thought the trailer for Joss Whedon's avengers was pretty bitchin'*, I have never disliked anything I've seen that Whedon's done, and I've liked all the Marvel in house produced comic book films so far. Even the Ed Norton Hulk that everyone on earth who was not me seemed indifferent to.

But this movie would have been 1000 times better if they let these guys build all the props and do all the special effects for it:




The guys who created this video described it as "sweded"in the title, and after trying to remember what this means for far to long, I remembered working at Hollywood Video when video stores existed and us playing "Be Kind Rewind" on the in store TVs for something like three weeks straight.

If you don't remember that movie, it starred the hilarious and talented Dante Terrell Smith, after he started going by Mos Def, but before he started going by Yasiin Bey**, and co-starred Jack Black after he was in  the disappointing Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny but before he was in the inexplicably existent big budget fart joke adaptation of Gulliver's Travels. Rewind a fun little film. Well made and light and sweet from what I remember.

The plot revolves around Jack Black and Yasiin Bey remaking all the movies in their video store using cheap hand made props after Black demagnetizes all the tapes in the store, they call this "sweding" in the film, which is why it is used to describe this Avengers parody. I may be the only person on the internet who didn't know that off the top of my head, so sorry for the long explanation if you already knew the term.

  Be Kind Rewind was directed by Michele Gondry, and while I think his Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a much "better" movie, this one seems to be the most true to Gondry's vision and aesthetic. Wow, that got all serious and analytical. I can't end the body of this post on something non-silly. So here is a video of a dude who like Gondry has an awesome and adorable french accent, and like Gondry is involved in making movies, but unlike Gondry he was only ever in one movie, but it was the greatest sports movie ever made:



Footnote(s):

I would link or embed the real trailer here but I'm pretty sure every human being on earth has already seen that trailer. Even if you don't own a computer or TV, I think Marvel sent Mark Ruffalo to your house to describe the whole thing to you while making this face:

I think the instructions from the camera man here were "Mark can you give me 'constipated rapist'"


** I just discovered Mos Def's legal name is Dante Terrell Smith which is a totally awesome name all by itself. I would complain about Mos Def being on his second stage name when Dante Terrell is so awesome it sounds like the name of a character in Die Hard, but I publish a podcast where I call myself "Thor The God of Thunder" so I'm really not one to talk.

Besides, Mos Def is awesome and can do whatever he wants. He is one of those guys who is so effortlessly cool like RZA or Steve McQueen. Most Def was the best part of the Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy Movie, which had great performances from Sam Rockwell and Alan Rickman so you know I must have really dug him to put him above two of my favorite actors.

As long as I am going on about Mos Def? Did anyone see his film 16 Blocks? That film came on cable one night when I was home visiting my folks a few years back and me and my dad watched it. That is a startlingly well made movie, when we turned it on we figured it was just gonna be another one of Bruce Willis's many direct to video level cop films, but the script has some surprises and Mos Def, yet again is the best part.

I should probably stop having posts where the footnotes are not funny and nine times longer than the actual article.

Since I mentioned RZA and will use any excuse to post this awesome clip of him hanging out with Craig Ferguson's mom, here is said clip:

No comments:

Post a Comment