Monday, April 26, 2010

Space Monkey


I'm going to post some follow up posts about the ads at the New York auto show later, but I had to post this ad from the World Wildlife Fund immediately because it is fantastic. The song in the background is awesome, though I'm ashamed to say I didn't recognize it as being by Australian musician Ben Lee, who wrote my favorite album of 2004, Awake is the New Sleep. For a four minute dialogue-less video it really packs a lot emotion, and is really well paced. I'll discuss it more after the video, I don't want to give anything about it away just trust me that its well worth your time. I mean how could an ad called space monkey not be?




I'm gonna leave some space between the video and my additional comments in case you watch the video embedded here because I really don't want to spoil it by having you see my comments about it below.




Free offer! Free offer!







Rip a fender off your car







mail it in







for a half-pound jar







Burma-Shave






Isn't that ad awesome, and way more heart breaking than anything involving a monkey has any right to be? I really didn't expect the ending, it really does a great job in a short period of setting up this very well defined story and then playing with the audience's expectations. Oh and am I the only person who thought the image of the rundown Ferris wheel in the middle of an abandon city was homage to the Ferris wheel in Prypiat, the abandon city next to Chernobyl? (Pictured below.)

No comments:

Post a Comment