Saturday, September 11, 2010

Search: Posts dated "September 11th"

I haven't gone to bed yet so I was honestly a bit taken aback when I published my previous post and saw September 11th as the date for it.

I've never been in a position where something of mine, even something like this silly blog, was date stamped September 11th.

I figured I would be remiss if I just posted the "Inception A Capella remix" on this date without commenting briefly on the fact that it is Sept 11th, so hear it goes:

This is my stupid blog where I make dumb jokes about my love hate relationship with advertising and this would not be the place for serious reflections on a national tragedy even if I was eloquent enough to do this date justice.  So instead I will leave you with two pieces of news media I always try to remember to revisit every 9/11.

The first is touching and thoughtful*  piece written a few years ago by author and former head editor of the Philadelphia City Paper, Duane Swierczynski. Its called "World without a Superman" and I am not ashamed to admit I holding back tearing as I reread it right now.  Read it here.

The second is Jon Stewart's heartfelt and tear filled speech on the Daily Show from his first show back on the air after the events. It one of the most honest things I have ever watched.

The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
September 11, 2001
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party





Footnote(s)
*I realize "touching and thoughtful" is uber-cliche. I really which I could think of non-greeting card words for the occasions I'm trying to positively describe things, my vocabulary is better at thinking of ways to describe being angry at the Television that it is at sincerity.

http://citypaper.net/articles/2007/02/01/world-without-a-superman

No comments:

Post a Comment