Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sherlock Holmes 2 Trailer gives me impossibly high expectations.

I have stated before-and Stephen Colbert Satirically agreed with me, so I might be right-that as much as I love movies, a lot of big tent pole films will never be as good as the 2 minute explosio-thon trailer that can be made out of the 2 hour film.

As much as I enjoyed the film Fast Five, and it surprised me how well it was paced, I still didn't like it as much as the trailer for it.

I don't think this says something about the decline quality of big blockbuster films, which I think has been pretty damn good this year, at least of the films I saw, as much as it is praise for how trailers in the last 2 decades have gone from marketing to being an awesome short film.

The new Sherlock Holmes 2* trailer is a good example of this:



Fucking brilliant trailer. And no matter how much I like this film in full film form, I don't think I will love it as much as watching that tree explode in slow motion over and over again as I re-watch the trailer

 Though my favorite part is that little clip at the beginning where Downey Jr plugs itunes.

He does a good job giving gravitas to the lines, but whoever decided to have him start his segment by saying "I'm Robert Downey Jr." is an idiot. No shit its robert Downey jr. Thanks to Iron Man is has one of the most recognizable faces in the free world right now. Even Amish Children know what Robert Downey Jr. looks like.

Since he already has his beard cut into the Iron Man 3 goatee, what he should have started his intro with was, "Hello, I'm Tony Stark."

I have mentioned my opinion that many films are better in tailer form before. And pointed out then, as I will again now that it is probably a bad sign that I have a sincere opinion that was the set up for a satirical bit on the daily show where colbert pretended to be a movie fan who only liked films in trailer form:




Footnote(s):
*The film's official title is Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, which I keep remembering at Sherlock Holmes: Game of Thrones. I haven't had a chance to see game of Thrones yet, as I don't have cable, but based on the trailers for it, I would be even more excited for this film if it involved Downey Jr. was fighting Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage.

via Filmdrunk

No comments:

Post a Comment